Frequently Asked Questions About Criminal Compensation in Australia

Law Blog

In Australia, victims of crimes can be compensated for certain losses they've suffered due to the crime, as well as for pain and suffering. This compensation may even extend to loss of personal property you wouldn't expect, such as clothing. It can also be extended to family members of victims of certain crimes. If you are wondering if you're eligible for criminal compensation in Australia, note a few frequently asked questions about this arrangement and then discuss your options with a criminal attorney.

1. What if a victim was killed?

The close relatives of someone who was killed may be eligible for compensation; this would include a surviving spouse, parent, grandparent, child, stepchild, or grandchild. Typically this would be someone who has experienced a financial loss due to that person's death, so you would do well to speak to an attorney to see if you are eligible for compensation if a close family member was killed due to the commission of a crime.

2. What financial losses are included?

For those who have been victims of a crime, the financial losses may include travel expenses that are incurred in order to be treated for injuries that resulted from the crime. Real personal property that was stolen or severely damaged may be compensated for; this might include damage to your car, your home, and even clothing that was worn when a crime was committed. Other financial losses include lost wages and loss of income due to injuries and medical or psychological expenses that were incurred after the crime or offense was committed.

3. What else can be compensated?

The victim of a crime can be compensated for pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. For crimes that have severely impacted you mentally and emotionally, and especially for those who are unable to return to work after a crime, this compensation may be an option. An attorney can advise as to what psychological reports you would need to be eligible for this compensation.

4. What if I've already paid for some expenses?

You can ask for a reimbursement for expenses you've already paid in relation to the crime or offense committed. You would typically need to have receipts for these expenses and an attorney can tell you if they would fall under the category of expenses that should be reimbursed because of the criminal action, but don't assume that if you've already paid these expenses then you have no options for compensation.


29 March 2016

Break In: Everyday Legal Matters You Should Know About

My name is Jeanette Kennan. I have been a high school legal studies teacher for many years. As such, I am fascinated by legal cases I come across in the media. Family and friends often consult me about minor matters related to the law and although no expert, I can often point them in the right direction. It occurred to me that there may be other people out there who are not aware of basic legal issues. After all, you probably don't think about legal matters related to death, accidents or crimes until you find yourself in a crisis situation. This blog is designed to give you some introductory information about a range of legal topics. Hopefully, it will help you to be prepared and informed should a legal concern arise. I really appreciate you breaking in to my humble little site. Please enjoy.